Acerola Extract comes from the fruit of the Acerola plant. The plant has been used by people for centuries as a natural herbal remedy. It is believed to have a vast range of curative properties and is now used worldwide as a supplement.
The Acerola Plant
The Acerola plant, Malpighia emarginata, is a small tree/shrub. It produces a cherry-like fruit that is rich in Vitamin C. The berry also contains Vitamin A, Thiamine, Riboflavin and Niacin, all of which are beneficial to health. Acerola is native to Mexico, South America and Central America, where the indigenous people have used the plant as a natural herbal remedy for a variety of complaints.
Health Benefits Of Acerola Extract
Due to its high content of Vitamin C, Acerola Extract is believed to help with a wide variety of health problems. The content of other vitamins and minerals also has health benefits. Acerola Extract is believed to:
- Help Metabolic Issues – Niacin and Riboflavin help to regulate your metabolic process, keeping your body running smoothly.
- Act At A Cancer Preventative – Containing a variety of antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals, Acerola may help to prevent cancer.
- Help The Immune System – Vitamin C is believed to boost the immune system.
- Scurvy – Vitamin C is vital in combating and preventing Scurvy, which is caused by Vitamin C deficiency.
- Maintain Heart Health – Being rich in potassium and antioxidants, Acerola is believed to give heart health a boost.
- Have Anti-Aging Effects – The high levels of antioxidants gives Acerola anti-aging effects, helping with eye and skin health.
- Help Digestion – Fruits contain fibre, which is vital for digestive health.
- Manage Diabetes – It is believed that the antioxidants in Acerola slow the release of sugar into the bloodstream, helping to manage diabetes.
- Have Antifungal And Antibacterial Effects – Extracts of the bark, fruit and leaves are believed to have shown antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Act As A General Curative – Acerola has been used as a general curative for colds, diarrhea, sore throats and more for centuries.
Acerola Extract has been used as a curative for centuries. However, the scientific evidence is lacking, and more research is needed. Before using any new supplement, ensure you consult with a medical professional, especially if already taking other medication.